Carrie Schmitt, OTD, OTR/L
I am thrilled to introduce my passion project…
The Sensory Capacity of Interoception
A course designed to guide practitioners through evidence-based knowledge of interoception so that they can recognize interoceptive challenges, assess interoceptive capacity, and intervene with confidence.
Join me in January/ February 2024
Classes will be taught on ZOOM on Wednesdays from 12:00 pm to 1:15 pm. See the exact dates below.
Before I tell you all about The Sensory Capacity of Interoception, let’s talk about who this course is really for!
You are right for The Sensory Capacity of Interoception if …
- you are a practitioner (OT, PT, SLP, mental health provider, physician, etc…) who is passionate about mind-body integration
- you are informed about sensory health and wellness or want to be
- you are a lifelong learner who holds curiosity as a high-value
- you seek to provide quality care based on the most up-to-date research and knowledge
- you are a practitioner who is curious about interoception and wants to incorporate assessment and intervention strategies into practice
- Please note that this course is taught at an intermediate level.
All practitioners are invited to a course designed to educate you about interoceptive sensory processing and integration and support you as you turn knowledge into clinical action.
Researchers across many disciplines are linking interoception to challenges with toileting, disordered eating, depression, anxiety, body awareness, somatic disorders, executive function, perception of time, and much more!
Any professional who provides mental and physical health care will benefit from the research on interoception. You don’t have to spend hours consuming the research… I already have. I will take what I have learned and help translate it so that you can take clinical action and guide the way toward holistic, mind-body intervention.
This four-module course on interoception will help you adopt evidence-based research findings into practice.
You may be wondering who I am and how I am qualified. Let me introduce myself…
I am Carrie Schmitt.
I hold a B.S. in Occupational Therapy from the Medical College of Georgia as well as a Doctor of Occupational Therapy from Boston University. Over the past 27 years, I have worked in a variety of pediatric settings in Georgia, New York, and South Carolina.
I am passionate about sensory health and evidence-based practice and am continually seeking to further my knowledge. I am NDT trained in pediatrics by the Neurodevelopmental Treatment Association and have completed STAR Institute Level 1 Mentorship, STAR Proficiency Level 1, and STAR Institute Level 2 Mentorship. I currently serve on the STAR Institute Faculty where my contribution is hosting STAR’s podcast, Making Sense. You can listen here.
As a wife and mother to four children, one of my favorite things is coming alongside families to learn more about their child’s unique, individual strengths and challenges through family education and research-based intervention.
Not only have I taught multiple classes on interoception and other sensory-related topics, but I also published an article on interoception. Read it here!
Now.. for the best part! I am so excited to teach this inaugural course that I am offering a one-time, special introductory price!
After participating in the four-module course, “The Sensory Capacity of Interoception”, the participant will…
• Analyze their attitudes and values that drive learning by creating 2 of their own measurable, learning objectives.
• Assimilate knowledge by using their own words to define Interoception.
• Differentiate/Identify indications of 5/7 body-based disordered interoceptive sensory processing (bottom-up: contribution of body function to mental function)
• Differentiate/Identify 5/7 indications of the contribution of our mental function to our interoceptive sensory processing. (top-down: mental contributions to our physiological well-being)
• Generate a list 3 strategies/tools that can be implemented immediately to increase interoceptive capacity in their clients
Policies and Disclosures:
Course cancellation policy:
If you have registered your practice for one of my professional development workshops, and you are no longer able to attend or host the training, our cancellation policy is as follows:
- LIVE: Full refund minus a $75 admin fee up to 30 days out of your scheduled training; 50% refund: 29 days prior to training and up to two weeks out from the scheduled date; No refund within two weeks of the training date
- Online: We offer a full money-back refund if you cancel any time before the course begins (January 7th, 2024 at noon PST). A refund cannot be issued after January 7, 2024, at noon PST. Email carrieschmittotd.com to request a refund. If you are unable to attend but did not cancel before the deadline, you may be eligible to transfer your registration to a future course.
- An exception can be considered for an unexpected illness, i.e. COVID-19 or natural disaster.
If you would like to cancel or request special accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If a live event is canceled due to the speaker’s illness, weather-related emergencies, or extreme technological difficulties, all practices will be given the choice to either reschedule the event at no additional charge or be issued a full refund.
Financial Disclosures: The speakers receive a fee for teaching this course. No other relevant financial or non-financial relationships.
Accessibility Statement: It is our goal to create a learning experience that is as accessible to as many learners as possible. If you anticipate any issues related to the format, materials, or requirements of this course, please email Carrie at email@example.com and describe the accommodations you are requesting.
Continuing Education Credits:
Carrie Schmitt OTD is an AOTA-approved provider. Continuing education credits are available for this course for occupational therapy practitioners. An additional administrative fee of $23 applies. No partial CE credit is available. Attendees must be present for live events for the entire duration and sign in and out to obtain any credit.